Professional Construction, Domestic & Commercial, Extensions, Refurbishments & Conversions
London and Essex are seeing an increasing amount of building activity, as the need for affordable homes is addressed. The government pledged to provide more homes for people to buy or rent as a major housing shortage has emerged in the past few years. Councils will be given powers to build on land that they own but have not yet earmarked for specific projects.
The government are calling for plans to build 250,000 homes per year to keep up with demand, and an official White Paper lists measures needed to achieve this. These include
- Insisting that councils provide an up to date plan to address the demand.
- Avoidance of ‘low density’ housing if land availability is restricted.
- Ensuring that in urban areas building upwards prevails.
- Making sure that the time between planning permission and building is reduced from 3 to 2 years.
- Help for smaller construction companies, using a £3bn fund, to compete with larger developers. This includes encouraging off site construction to speed up the process.
- Use of a lifetime ISA which helps first time buyers gain a deposit.
- Maintaining protection of areas marked as ‘green belt’.
- Barring bad landlords or agents from operating by imposed banning orders.
- Getting rid of letting agents fees.
Starter homes will hopefully be available for those in the most need in London for instance, who have a combined income of less than £80,000 or £90,000. These properties are sold at least 20% below their market value, making them more accessible to the younger age bracket.
Some of these affordable homes may not have the additional storage space required for many people. We all accumulate belongings along the way, that we are reluctant to dispense with, which is where good quality storage comes in. Anything you can’t bear to part with can be stored in the variety of cheap storage units or lock ups around. Billericay Removals are able to offer clean, dry and secure storage units as well as a sterling removals service. Give them a call on 01277653866 or 01268 768246.